Interesting animal facts - Let's have fun
Like to read interesting animal facts? I love
them. Some of them are really funny some actually serious. But all
of them definitely interesting.
For years now I have been learning and reading about pets. And
every once in a while I run into an interesting animal facts. I
beleive I have hundreds of them.
Since this is a pet site I will share some pet facts here. Oh, I
said "we will share"? Yes, you and me. Feel free to add any
interesting and funny pet fact you know about.
- More than 5 million puppies are born in the United States each
- Dog that lives in the city will live approximately three years
longer than a country dog.
- Small dogs usually live longer than larger breeds.
- Dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet.
- Dogs are considered color blind.
- When a dog licks you, he's saying "I Love You"
Dog breeds' facts
- Bulldogs were originally bred to fight bulls and bears. (David,
- Cats cannot see directly under its nose.
- A cat cannot move its jaws sideways.
- Cats successfully navigate through mazes in complete darkness.
They lose this ability if their whiskers are cut off.
- Cats can hear ultrasound.
- Female cat may have three to seven kittens every four months.
- Cats spend 30% of their time grooming themselves.
- Neutering a cat extends its life span by two or three years.
- Cats can have freckles.
- Cats purr at about the same frequency as an idling diesel
- The cat's brain needs so much energy to function that over
twenty percent of blood that the heart pumps goes immediately to
- Cats cannot survive on a vegetarian diet.
- Cat's urine glows under a black light.
- The average outdoor cat has a lifespan of about three years.
- Indoor cats can live more than 15 years.
- Cats respond most readily to names that end in an "ee" sound.
- A cat's brain is more similar to a human's brain than to the
- The slightest touch on a cat's whiskers will make its eyes
- The Maine Coon cat is America's only natural breed of domestic
Pet bird facts
- Most parrots are left-handed.
- Parrot can see behind him without turning his head.
Guinea pig facts
- Guinea pig can not judge height easy. Never leave him on a
chair or somewhere similar.
- If you drop guinea pig from a low height it will probably
break its spine.
- Guinea pigs are food in some countries.
- Guinea pigs are born with fur and open eyes.
- A male guinea pig is known as a boar and the female guinea pig
is known as a sow. A baby guinea pig is often called pup or
- Guinea pigs are not pigs and they are not related to pigs at
- Guinea pigs are not from Guinea.
Other rodent facts
- Rats will any type of food. They will even eat dead or dying
- Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time.
Interesting animal facts | Social life
- Felix the Cat is the first cartoon character to ever have been
made into a balloon for a parade.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in Bible.
- The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the
- Laika became the world's first space traveler. Russian
scientists sent the small dog to space in 1957.
- Brutus is a dog that holds the record for the highest skydive
by a dog at 4,572 feet.
Interesting animal facts | History
- Ferret was domesticated before a cat.
- Ancient Chinese royalty carried Pekingese dogs in the sleeves
of their royal robes.
- The penalty for killing a cat 4,000 years ago in Egypt was
Interesting animal facts | Stats and money
- Every year, 5 to 7 million companion animals enter animal
shelters in USA (source ASPCA).
- 62% of pet dogs own clothes.
- About 22% of the world's catch of tuna goes into cat food in
the United States.
- The cost of spaying and neutering a pet is less than the cost
of raising puppies or kittens for one year (source ASPCA).
- Americans spend more money on dog food each year then they do
on baby food.
- 53 percent of pet owners vacation or travel with their pets
The Interesting animal facts page is open for your suggestions.
If you want your funny or interesting animal facts added to this
page - send a comment. You are not obliged to give your name but
if you want people to know who sent the fact, put your name in
Facts sent by you
Tannis: A pregnant goldfish is called a twit
Like this page? Please share it with your friends: